Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Let's Go

It's time for my weekly entry on whatever song I heard on "that wing place's" music system! They were playing 80's again, and it was tough to decide what to write about at first because nothing sounded obscure or interesting to me. The most obscure song was Wang Chung's lesser hit "Let's Go" which was on the same album as "Everybody Have Fun Tonight." Yeah, I haven't heard it in forever, but there's really nothing interesting about the song to talk about.

On the way home, I remembered I had also heard "Down Under" by Men at Work. This one also doesn't quite fit. It's not obscure enough to me, and I've heard it many times in the past few weeks (I practiced it to play at this party, which was Australian-themed). However, these two songs have a special relationship with eachother, for me.

You see, "Down Under" was on the first LP I ever bought, and "Let's Go", regrettably, was on the first CD I bought. I've been trying to fool myself for years that The Doors two CD compilation was my first CD purchase, but it was actually my second. I was a musically confused teenager at that moment I bought that Wang Chung CD, so forgive me. Maybe I thought I would find out what "Everybody Wang Chung tonight" meant if I listened to the whole album. I know now that this will always be one of the great secrets of the universe.

I remember exactly where I bought that CD, too. Strangely enough, at the time one of the best places to buy CD's was the local warehouse grocery store. They had a CD section probably before department stores did.

I don't remember what the first cassette I bought was. I had a few, but I think they were all gifts. Cassettes suck.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris Ash said...

Okay, as long as we're sharing embarrassing first music purchases...

LP: I don't remember buying any, but I had DuranDuran "Rio" and Huey Lewis & the News "Sports"

Cassette: I bought a lot of cassettes in the pre-cd 80's. I'm thinking it was Men at Work also.

CD: ZZ TOP "Afterburner" Woo!

4:06 PM  
Blogger PlaysByEar said...

I wouldn't be embarrassed by any of the bands you've listed. Maybe the Oak Ridge Boys, but I don't know enough about them to know for sure.

The rest of them arguably had some good music. Or at least they are justifiable purchases for the time period.

I'm not embarrassed by Men at Work, but I'm not sure anything can justify Wang Chung.

5:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home