Friday, October 08, 2004

Live and Strange Music

I like bands with that little extra originality. Something beyond the regular line up and standard set. I’m not just talking about the music, either. As a matter of fact, some of the things I enjoy would probably be considered gimmicky by most—costumes, choreography, puking dolls and pagan idols, for example.


I saw a band last night I’ve been wanting to see for a long while. One of their fans (or maybe it’s one of their band members) has a habit of playing their music on the jukebox of a bar I frequent. If the goal of playing their CD so often is to get people to like their music out of sheer repetitiveness, it worked on me. One unique thing about the band I realized just from listening is their instrumentation. Electric Guitar & Vocals are as you would expect, but everything else is handled by the keyboard guy (that’s bass, drums, and any normal keyboard part). This necessitates sequencing on some level (at least for the drums), but I believe each song is completely sequenced leaving the keyboard guy only to direct his equipment when to switch between sections or change tempo. It comes across as very casio toy keyboard auto-accompaniment sounding, which you might think is lame but actually sounds quite cool in their arrangements. Strange costumes (see their website if you’re really interested), stuffed animal throwing, and a bar fight during the last song added to the fun.

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris Ash said...

Hey! Thanks for pimping the 'donk. It's always appreciated.

also, thanks for turning me on to the aquabats. Dig. I think El Donk might sound like that with 3-4 more musicians.
And more talent.

Seriously, I would kill for vocals like that.
And more horns.

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home