Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Look Through Any Wingdow

"Look Through Any Window" / The Hollies

This Hollies' hit has faded over time in comparison to songs like "Bus Stop" or "Long Cool Woman...," which makes me surprised to hear it played, but being surprised by the music is the reason I started this series in the first place. You can tell this is Hollies pretty quickly with the harmonies (not only thirds but sometimes sevenths) and Graham Nash's distinctive voice (it stands out to me, anyway). I guess I never listened to the lyrics that closely because I assumed this probably had to do with some girl and some love struck guy--who therefore must be a peeping tom, looking in through a very specific window. Upon listening more closely tonight, I realize the song is completely clean and innocent: it's about looking through ANY window from the inside to the OUTSIDE. This song is much more boring now...

Also notable in this song is the once overused (like 40 years ago) but now sorely missing half-step modulation of the last verse/chorus. And the relative minor ending chord.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Smut Mutt said...

The opening rif to Long Cool Woman is really cool. Weird how they don't use it again in the rest of the song...

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home