Sunday, January 27, 2008

Goodbye THM

I went to Ruta Maya last night to see Tammany Hall Machine. Getting there was a little tense because. my car started making weird noises once I got up to 40 or 50 mph. I almost figured out what it was while I was driving as I remembered that I had put my motorcycle cover in the back--but why would that cause a noise? It turns out a strap was hanging outside the hatch. Whew...

The first band was The Boxing Lesson, consisting of a guy on guitar singing lead, a chick on keyboards singing backup, and a guy on drums. The chick's setup was quite involved. She had three or four keyboards as well as some other stuff going on. All I could think was "man I'm glad I don't have to set up that much stuff." She covered the bass parts on one of those keyboards. The band was OK but I thought they were too effects heavy especially on the vocals. It reminded me of the Adios Johnny Bravo episode of the Brady Bunch where Greg hears his over-produced recording and backs out. "That's not how I sound" OK so this band chooses to sound this way.. I guess its just not MY sound.

Tammany Hall Machine was great. Being their last gig, they explained that they were going to play a few more covers that they liked to play. "Dig A Pony" by the Beatles was one. I haven't heard that song in forever. I didn't even recognize it from the beginning, and I'm having a little trouble remembering how it goes now. Cool song though, maybe its time I finally get a copy of "Let It Be." They played "Suffragette City" too, which gave me that weird cosmic connection feeling I sometimes get when you hear an infrequently played song twice within the span of a few days, or are doing whatever the lyrics are saying at the same time you are hearing them. In this case, I spontaneously starting playing this song at the end of practice on Friday. Their original stuff was great too. I wrote down that one of their songs reminded me of "Can't Get It Out of My Head" by ELO and another of "Underground" by Ben Folds Five. I believe some of the chord structures were the same, that's all. I bought their CD so I'll have to see if I can find those songs. One of the band members played keyboard, guitar, and trombone so now I'm feeling a little inferior. I really need to pick up trombone, trumpet, or sax!

Someone in the band or club must really like David Bowie, because after their set they put on Hunky Dory (which starts with the situation appropriate "Changes"). "Oh! You Pretty Things" is after that and I haven't heard that in forever. I only have a greatest hits assortment and that is not on it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Smut Mutt said...

Sax is the easiest of the 3. FWIW, the fingering is the same (or almost the same) as the flute & very similar to claranet (sp?). (5 years of band)

1:05 PM  
Blogger PlaysByEar said...

Yeah I should try sax first. Especially since I played clarinet in band, so I presumably know the fingering already.

Only then will I play that damned tequila!

1:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home