Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Speaking of Music

My band has been on a break for a bit, not because of issues but just because there have been a lot of vacations and work trips that have disrupted our normal practice schedule. But, it looks like we will probably get together next week, and we have a gig scheduled in July sometime. I have been lazy on my self-assigned homework which is to come up with one or two keyboard-centric songs to try, so as to give one of our guitar players time to switch guitars, and so I can show off, of course. Lately we've been adding some 80's stuff to our mostly 70's line-up, but I think what I want is some fairly recent tunes to add to our list. So, if you can think of any keyboard-centric tunes from the 2000's, or even the 1990's, that you like and were popular, please let me know.

14 Comments:

Blogger brownie said...

Climb to Safety by Widespread Panic or Jellyfish by String Cheese.

7:50 AM  
Blogger PlaysByEar said...

Thanks for the recommendation. Unfortunately I don't know those by name, and I'm guessing I probably haven't heard them before, so they probably aren't popular enough.

What we need are songs that were heard on mainstream radio all the time. We must appeal to the lowest common denominator.

9:47 AM  
Blogger BRAE said...

Maybe something by the killers?

12:10 PM  
Blogger mike said...

The keyboard in Innagaddavida, by Iron Butterfly, was the pinnacle performance by anyone using that particular instrument, ever, IMHO.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Pittchick said...

You can check out stuff by The Devils. Nick Rhodes is the keyboard king!

8:10 PM  
Blogger Jerri said...

No suggestions, but I do want to know when you're playing for the public again! 80's - cool!!!

11:05 PM  
Blogger brownie said...

Yeah, play the Iron Butterfly song! It'll give your guitarist time to change guitars...and go home and shower, order a pizza, watch season four of the Simpsons, bang Ticketmaster's mom, and who knows what else.

11:35 PM  
Blogger PlaysByEar said...

Can't you guys read? I said 2000's or 1990's. Don't think In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida hasn't crossed my mind already, cause it has, believe me.

11:45 PM  
Blogger Jerri said...

I can read - you said you were adding some 80's!

5:41 PM  
Blogger Smut Mutt said...

Brownie forgot his fav pianist, Libarce.

Seriously, maybe piano man, jump (van halen), some boston tunes...

5:57 PM  
Blogger PlaysByEar said...

I said:

"Lately we've been adding some 80's stuff to our mostly 70's line-up, but I think what I want is some fairly recent tunes to add to our list. So, if you can think of any keyboard-centric tunes from the 2000's, or even the 1990's, that you like and were popular, please let me know."

This decade or last decade, that's what I want!

12:28 AM  
Blogger brownie said...

How 'bout some Robert Johnson, that would be pretty cool.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Asian Princess said...

How about that Spice Girl song...wanabe. I think people will like it because the song is so stupid but yet people sing to them for fun.

10:39 AM  
Blogger Jes said...

you should just go with Brownie's suggestion because he is the lowest common denominator.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home