Monday, June 12, 2006

Anyone Want Some Twizzlers?

I managed to go watch on Sunday, however not quite as early as I thought. I got there around 7:30 and I believe I was watching the first cyclists as I drove down Decker Lane. The event was a lot bigger than I imagined, and the parking lots seemed to be getting pretty full. During my walk to the staring area, Barbara passed me on her bike. I yelled “Go Barbara!” and she replied “Thank you!” So polite. I think I managed to see everyone I knew at some point during the race, so that was cool.

I felt really stupid trying to give away licorice, but I had to try with 10 lbs of the stuff in my bag. I made it down to the halfway point of the run, which was right after a water stop. I was the only person in the area, and I got mostly strange “what are you doing?” looks, but also a few “thanks but no thanks” looks. However, no one was “biting” so after ten minutes or so I packed up and concentrated on clapping. I guess either everyone was taking the event more seriously than the marathon, or maybe on a 5K you just don’t need or want any quick sugar powered energy, or maybe everyone came prepared with their own snacks if they thought they’d need ‘em. Who knows, it’s not a big deal but at least it helped me get up and go out there to support everyone, which is what’s most important.

Congratulations to everyone who participated! Next stop Ironman, right?

5 Comments:

Blogger Jerri said...

Heehee, at the Freescale before last they tried to make me hand out twizzler's, but took them away when they figured out I was playing "one for you, one for me" with them... only there weren't very many "one for you"s, so I had to pretend....

5:44 PM  
Blogger Rafael said...

TWIZZLERS!

6:10 PM  
Blogger brownie said...

If it was during the race I'm surprised SWB didn't dismount and have a 10 minute converstation with you.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Pittchick said...

Twizzlers are yummy!

5:14 PM  
Blogger Jes said...

I love Twizzlers. God, I miss American junk food!!

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home