Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Yes I Did

"Shapes of Things" / Yardbirds - First song I hear upon entering. I miss my oldies station! Nice march feel.

"I'm Working My Way Back to You" / Detroit Spinners - Pick up the tempo and set it to a disco beat. A completely unnecessary version of the Four Seasons' hit.

"I Want Candy" / The Strangeloves - I've heard the Bow Wow Wow version so many times, I was no longer sure there was an original oldies version. That and it's so easy to get confused with "Hand Jive" which has that same Bo Diddley beat. Is there a more recognizable rhythm? Clap it for someone and guaranteed one of those two songs will come to their mind.

"Here Comes My Baby" / Cat Stevens - I can never tell at the beginning of this song whether I'm going to hear it or "If You Wanna Be Happy" by Jimmy Soul cause they both start with similar drums and cheering. Frankly I'd rather have heard "Happy" cause that line must be so true. If you wanna be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife! The Stevens song however features a whistle solo. More whistle solos, less guitar solos!

"It's Raining Again" / Supertramp - This song sounds FLAT. Not pitch wise, just.. no energy. They even use a synthesizer harmonica. Well hey they wouldn't want to risk anyone breathing any life into this one. Here is a song that if covered would easily improve on the original. Or if played live. The thing is, neither of those two things will ever happen.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Barbara said...

I WANT SOME CANDY TOO!

11:23 AM  
Blogger dayoldfish said...

How were the wings?

10:23 AM  
Blogger PlaysByEar said...

They didn't put on too much sauce this time so they tasted a little too buttery and not enough spicy. Then again the previous night's wings might have deadened my taste buds some. Next time I may have to ask them for "wet" TMI.

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home