Friday, March 06, 2009

Yard

I didn't expect this to happen so soon, but I'm beginning to care about how my yard looks. A few weeks ago I bought my first yard tools--a hedge trimmer and a rake. I have a hedge that follows the sidewalk to my front door. Last week I tried to make it look square, but it needs a little bit of work. Next to my laptop right now is a wad of grass I pulled out of the front yard, and I've been trying to figure out what kind of grass it is online without much luck. It might be bermuda grass, or fescue. It's definitely not St Augustine which I think is what all my neighbors have. Now its long enough now that I need to mow it. I'm seriously considering buying a corded electric mower, even though I have no experience with that type. I just like the idea of not having to deal with gas or oil, and I guess it's better for the environment and quieter, too. And, it will feel like I'm vacuuming the lawn. Not that I like vacuuming, but it I think it will feel odd enough doing it that I might like the weirdness of it. I need to take care of it this weekend or next, because I'll be out of town or have little time to spare for the month after that.

My backyard has very little grass growing at all. That means the options for what to do with it are pretty much limitless. It's all fenced in, so I could do nothing at all and no one would know the difference. A garden could be cool, though. A few weeks back I raked up a bunch (but not all) of the dead leaves and put them into five big lawn refuse bags, but I haven't put them out for the garbage man yet. I guess I'm considering a compost pile, too! I've read up a little bit on it, and I need to find more green stuff to mix in with the dead leaves and get an enclosure that can breathe. But, no rush here either.

I've got a lot of trees in both yards, and some of them are flowering now or showing leaves. I'm wondering if the others are dead or alive, but maybe they don't act alive until later in the season? Hell if I know, this is all new to me.

5 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

There is a big compost barrel that is black. It is enclosed so it has no odor, which is good of you have close neighbors. Plus you roll it instead of having to take a shovel and mix your compost pile.

Consider getting one of those manual mowers that are people powered so you don't have to worry about running over the cord.

9:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who are you and why are you commenting on my blog? You were not invited to read it.

8:39 AM  
Blogger PlaysByEar said...

I'm your favorite hasher! I'm not welcome? :(

12:38 PM  
Blogger Rafael said...

Get a goat. The goat will take care of the yard for you

11:38 AM  
Blogger machete said...

Mexican day laborers. they'll work your yard for cheap. ;) haha

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home