Thursday, January 29, 2009

Switched

I'm switched over to U-verse now. Installation was a bit of a pain, but I wasn't all that annoyed by it. Last Thursday the install dude came out and we ran into problems at every step. I can't blame the guy, though. It looked as if the previous owner had try a DIY rewiring of the phone lines and cable and screwed it up, which forced the install dude to have to rewire to the couple of outlets I'll use. Also he noticed some evidence of rodent chewing on the lines so I'll probably do something about that (though this could have happened years ago). After doing that, he had to switch out the modem as the first wasn't working. Internet was up at this point after two or so hours, but the TV was breaking up. After that, five hours were spent switching everything possible, including stuff at the local junction box and the one down the street, and bypassing all the wiring in the house. I didn't mind so much because I really needed a day away from work, and with him working on this all day it forced me to stay busy doing stuff around the house. No luck! The dude was really apologetic and said he'd come back whenever and work on it until it's done. We agreed on Sunday after 4, but found him at the house when I got home from the half marathon on Sunday, and he had gotten the problem solved already. I think he had to run a different line from down the street. I could be really angry about this, but he was really professional and determined the whole time. Marines are like that.

It's yesterday that I'm angry about. I had left my Time warner account open partly just in case uverse didn't work out, but mostly because I needed to make sure all my online stuff tied to the rr account was sorted out. I knew I had to turn in my cable modem so I called to find out when their office closed. Somehow I got into the disconnection process over the phone, which I'd planned on doing face-to-face at the office to avoid what I knew was going to happen. He started up with sales pitch for keeping TWC and I had to cut him off three times with "please proceed with the disconnect thank you." I know he was going to offer me some good deal on cable, but I hate having to threaten to leave to get a better deal. How about you just set your regular price/service to be a competitive to begin with? Besides, I'm already switched and I really like it.

Then after he kept on starting with "I apologize, but..." I had to beg him to stop apologizing and proceed with the disconnect. And somehow after its all done I end up feeling bad for having to do that! I have had no problems with Time Warner before, short of having to switching out a bad cable modem which I don't blame them for, but if they want me back they are going about it the wrong way.

U-verse is great! Now I can watch TPiR in HD!

1 Comments:

Blogger Outdoorgirl said...

I can't get U-verse here yet. I am so bummed.......

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home