Sunday, January 18, 2009

TV

I get cable TV (or what should I call it since it's AT&T?) installed late this week, but I've been fascinated by my over-the-air TV viewing habits for the last month. A few of the over-the-air stations have added a second digital channel, which means that I have a total of ??? many channels to choose from (FOX, NBC, CBS, CBS2: Retro TV, ABC, ABC2: Weather, CW, PBS, PBS2: Create, and some fuzzy spanish channel). 8 useful channels for free, not so bad.

I've gravitated to Create and Retro TV. I've ended up watching Rick Steves' Europe, Globetrekker, some knitting show, some interior decorating show, This Old House, and some furniture making show on Create. But I've watched much more on Retro TV. So many forgotten shows, many of which I've never seen: Bachelor Father, Night Gallery, Marcus Welby M.D., Emergency!, the Bold Ones, Ironside, Operation: Petticoat, Wagon Train, Run for your Life. And, some shows I've seen before but have a new perspective on: The A-Team, Alfred Hitchcock Presents, McHale's Navy, Voyagers, Leave it to Beaver, Knight Rider, Battlestar Gallactica, Rockford Files, Buck Rogers. I saw the premier episode of Buck Rogers last weekend--totally bizarre intro, not like the tunnel intro I remember from my youth. Instead, it had a bunch of sexy women rolling all over giant letters that spelled out Buck Rogers, and the theme song actually had lyrics. It was about dreaming, and what is real and what is imaginary, etc. Really strange, not what I remembered at all.

When I get cable* TV, I imagine I'll go back to my old habits of TPiR, The Daily Show, Mythbusters, etc. But being forced to watch all this other stuff, most of which wasn't half bad, hasn't been... half bad.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pittchick said...

I used to love the A-team!!! I didn't know they were still showing it. I only get 10 channels anyway, I don't have cable.

5:02 PM  
Blogger PlaysByEar said...

Yeah, me too. I definitely have a different perspective now--it's so dumb! But it was perfect for an 11 year old boy.

I recently saw an episode from their last season, in which they are finally put on trial, then made to work for the government. They took out the orchestrated theme and replaced it with an all synth version, drum machine and all. Really horrible! I must've stopped watching by then.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Jes said...

A knitting show??? Really?!?

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home