Tuesday, March 17, 2009

On Vacaction

It seems that I wasn't the only one on Sunday that could've set a legit PR, even the winners might have done so. Article here.

I'm on vacation for the rest of the week to take full advantage of South by Southwest. I bought a wristband for the night shows like this year, but this will be the first time I'm down there during the day to take advantage of the free shows and free beer.

I didn't think to download the mp3 torrents of a song by each band until last night. I listened to some today and have picked out a few bands I'm interested in. Of course all the band names begin with an "A" or "B," so I haven't got very far. So much for that idea. At least I will be happy with having the mp3 library on me tomorrow, so if a particular write-up or band name/location catches my eye, I can listen to their song to help me decide if I want to check them out.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has the right idea about SXSW. It seems that a lot of people are all about trying to see the big name bands, which is difficult to do at SXSW. If that's what you want, you're better off going to ACL or just buying a ticket to a regular show. The people on the radio podcasts I've listened to (Sound Opinions, Texas Music Matters, All Songs Considered) all have the right idea, which is trying to discover the next big thing while they're still unknown. For me, it's not even about that--I don't care if a band gets famous so I can brag about seeing them when they were unknown. I just want to listen to some new music I enjoy, and no matter what my tastes are, I should be able to find plenty of it this week.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home