Sunday, February 03, 2008

Super Furry Saturday Night

My continuing urge to explore more music continued last night as I went to Emo's for Super Furry Animals, a band from Wales. They were already my most likely choice, but flipping through channels Saturday night, I landed on MEtv and listened to the end of a song that caught my ear called "Runaway," which just happened to be one of theirs. I listened to their songs from their myspace page and liked most of those too. I have no complaints about their set, it was great. Melodic, poppy. Also the first time I've seen anyone sing while wearing a motorcycle helmet. The faceshield was very small--he had to hold the mic up to his eyes, which was amusing.

I really wanted to like the opening band Holy F*** more, as they were doing weird keyboard/effects things, but the lack of vocals and repetitiveness made me bored. I was also sitting on the bleachers, so I wasn't "aborbing" all of their music directly. Maybe I would've liked them more if I was up front.

I also caught a few songs by the Yuppie Pricks inside. They were having a lot of fun and the punk rock music was strong.

Emo's free week in January has really worked on me, because I hadn't been there much before and now that it's on my radar I'll be going there more often. Lots of good things about this place: They have sets of bleachers indoors and out so that old people like me can find somewhere to sit for awhile, they have many bars so waiting for drinks doesn't take long, they have an outdoor area away from the stage if you need quietness, and with several stages you can sample more music. I don't know if they ever seperate the stage areas so you can only go to one show, maybe someone out there knows?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home