Sunday, February 17, 2008

Carrots

Last night I made it down to Beerland as planned. The weather cleared up so no problems there. I showed up for the last few songs from Pataphysics and enjoyed them enough that I wish I got there earlier. Unfortunately I didn't write down anything specific about their music, just that I liked it.

The Carrots were great. Four girl singers, one of them also playing keyboard, and three guys on bass, guitar, and drums. Lovely 60's girl group harmonies. They weren't always perfect, but even when they were off a bit they were pleasant sounding. I also loved the super-clean guitar sound. It seems I never can get enough of that. I don't have a feel for their music of covers and originals, but there were a few covers I recognized.

At first I thought maybe they were too high maintenance because after every song they would have to tell the sound guy to put more of this or that in the monitor, etc. But I revised that opinion when halfway through the set they got through half a song before the sound guy raised the lead vocal (which had switched to a different singer) enough so that the audience could hear it. So the sound guy was either sleeping or just stupid.

I may have not given the headlining band, Alright Tonight, a fair shake because I only stayed for a few songs of their set. It became obvious that everyone was there to see The Carrots as the crowd really thinned out after their set, and that sorta made me want to leave too, no matter what the band sounded like. They didn't immediately grab my interest so I went to get a Kebabilicious before it got busy.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Smut Mutt said...

I once read an article by a musican on dealing with sound guys. Apparantly many are real prima-donna types and you basically have to kiss their ass to get anything done. After I read that I started watching them and, yep he was spot-on. Pitty.

11:29 PM  
Blogger Chris Ash said...

This is 100% true of sound guys. I've had like 2 good ones over the years. The thing is, musicians (myself included) are notoriously bad at giving sound guys good information. If the sound guy doesn't KNOW that you can't hear yourself, he'll just assume that you can.

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home