Saturday, May 12, 2007

Weekend

I was pretty lame last week. I was hoping that while I was out here I'd find someplace new and different to go every night, but mostly it has been going to dinner, then getting back to the hotel, turning on the TV, and falling asleep. Friday night I didn't go out to dinner with anyone, so I had to go... somewhere!

I walked to downtown San Jose (where I was last Sunday) and had an interesting enough time.

1) They have "pay-as-you-go" on the street toilets! Actually, I noticed this on Sunday and forgot to mention it. Before coming here I wouldn't have thought this was much of a profitable idea since if you were covert enough you could find some place to go for free, but after seeing the police presence here--it is probably worth the fifty cents or whatever not to get busted.

2) Mission Ale House has Sam Adams Cherry Wheat on tap. I love this beer, but I've never seen it on tap before! So I had a few. I've told many people in person but not on the blog yet--I love fruit flavored beers. My favorite is the Oregon Raspberry Wheat which they had a happy hour special of $1 at my local bar when I lived in Honolulu. Strong raspberry smell and taste, but there's nothing wrong with that if you like raspberries. They don't make it anymore though. The only bad thing about these types of beers is they give me a hangover.

3) They used a bottle grabber to grab a bottle of liquor from a high shelf. I'm sure I must've seen that thing used before, but I honestly can't remember.

4) Professional bouncers. As I walked up to the Mission Ale House, the bouncers were fending off a couple drunk underage kids who were trying to make their case as to why they should be able to go inside without a proper ID. Before I even got in line to go inside, the bouncers turned away two or three groups of people in a row with fake IDs. Downtown San Jose is very close to SJSU so I understand the underage problem... but I've never seen them try to get in so continuously.

5) The bar I was at closed half an hour earlier than bar time! I would be amazed that any bar would choose to lose that amount of business, but maybe it is worth it to avoid whatever bigger problems occur at 2 am.

6) I didn't know busses ran this late but it was nice to see one at 2 am show up at the bus stop (just as I was walking past the HP Pavilion) and save me the 2 mile walk back. What I found out is that busses that run at 2 am are at least 50% sleeping homeless people. While there were technically plenty of seats available I stood for the ride back, as I didn't want to deal with a tired pissed off homeless person.

I didn't really feel like doing much the rest of the weekend. I guess I'm ready to come back to Austin.

2 Comments:

Blogger Smut Mutt said...

If you're still out there, there's a couple of places you should check out for lunch/dinner:
In-And-Out - fast-food burger joint but 10x better than McD or any other chain
Fish Market on St Lawerence Expy - best seafood resturant I've been to in CA. Most everything is grilled over charcoal and it's all fresh. When you get a side, try their scalloped potatoes - they rock.

2:59 PM  
Blogger PlaysByEar said...

I'm here until Thursday, but I've been to both of those places already this trip!

I did like Fish Market a lot. It was probably the first time I've had oysters in five years. And I had some sort of every-kind-of-fish-on-a-kabob which was very good too. I don't remember if I had potatoes though!

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home