Sunday, November 12, 2006

Guess What I Have

in my hands right now: a hardcopy of The Onion, which I picked up at LJ's an hour ago! They just started distributing in Austin this week. Composing this entry on the way home I thought to myself, "what took so long? Austin and Madison are so similar, this newspaper should've been here ten years ago at least!" Then after I get home I open it up to page 25: "What took you so long? is a question we've heard a lot in the past few weeks... ...What you may not know is that The Onion actually moved here back in 1996..." I called that one right then!

I believe I first saw this paper in 1989, when someone brought a copy from campus to high school. I thought it was great, but didn't imagine it would ever get the nationwide fame it has now. I did miss it enough that when I was stationed in Hawaii I bought a subscription for a year. Now that it is Austin, it feels that much more like home.

Of course I had to check: page 2 lists Andy as Director of Production. I wonder if he ever thought this gig would turn into a career?

2 Comments:

Blogger brownie said...

They have it up here out of Boulder (U of Colorado).

9:55 AM  
Blogger Jerri said...

I cheated a long time ago and bought an online subscription. But there's nothing like actually having it in your hands!

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home