Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Memorial Day

I made it out to Galveston on Sunday (Seawolf Park), to see what remained of my first ship. Here it is:

I only severed on her for a year and a half, and that last half a year was spent in drydock decommissioning her, but when I found out her sail was being turned into a monument only a few hours away, I had to go check it out. I never thought I'd see anything of her again after April 1997, so it was fun to touch that sail again.

You may have noticed this post has more pictures than usual. I finally bought a digital camera on Saturday. I wouldn't expect an album worth of photos from me ever, as I still think taking pictures is mostly a pain in the ass. But you will see a few. Here is my first action photo, a Coast Guard helicopter dropping a wreath into the channel after our memorial ceremony on Monday.



Our ceremony got rained on pretty hard, so some parts had to be cut short. They had to cancel the F-16 flyover, but hey they're just F-16s so that's no big deal (heh). We did what was important and that was to honor the memory of those who served and died for our country. I hope you took a moment on Monday to think of them and hope you continue to do so.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rafael said...

Why are ships female?

10:14 AM  
Blogger Jerri said...

Thank you!!! :-P

Becuz they have wide sterns, they're hollow, and they're full of sea-men.

11:37 AM  
Blogger brownie said...

Indeed, here's to the vets!

I've had all kindsa fighter jets flying over my house the past few days, doing crap for the Air Force Academy graduation. Pretty cool.

2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home