Monday, April 17, 2006

Rollin' Rollin' Rollin' Blackouts

So we have two big buildings at work. This is how I know I'm working in the wrong building. I had no idea Austin was experiencing rolling blackouts today until after I left work and heard it on the radio! Rolling blackouts, awesome! It almost feels like I'm living in California. So, the reason for the blackouts is that we are having unseasonably warm weather at the moment (high of 99 today), and since Texas didn't think they'd have to power so many A/C units, some of the generators are down for planned maintenance.

So what else to do in unseasonably warm weather but go for a run. And I did, and it wasn't as hard as I expected. On my way downtown to run, I happened to drive through some blackout areas. I knew this because cops were directing traffic at the stop lights that were out. I found myself wondering why streetlights weren't on a separate "vital" grid, with streetlamps and hospitals, but I suppose they just weren't designed that way and it's too expensive at this point to change.

5 Comments:

Blogger mike said...

I blame Squeezin' for the rolling blackouts. He works for (gov. agency name withheld). And he looks like he might be from Cali, if you didn't know any better.

Hospitals and high volume commerce sites have generator backups.

I was working for AMAT in San Jose during the rolling blackouts in CA. I never once thought they would be trendy enough to catch on here....Oh well. Revenge for Enron?

10:01 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I loved it...My gym was nice and quiet since everyone was stuck in traffic. Simple pleasures:)

10:05 AM  
Blogger Pittchick said...

Never experienced rolling blackouts here. I did eat lunch outside today, that's always a nice treat.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Rafael said...

Uh, what does lunch outside have to do with rolling blackouts?

1:54 PM  
Blogger Pittchick said...

You mentioned the warm weather, I equated that with eating lunch outside.

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home