Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Decision

Last night almost turned into one of those five entry nights. Thankfully I didn't have my laptop with me at a certain restaurant I eat at often. After I got home, I watched my MTV and played along on my keyboard to music, loudly (to itunes, not MTV.. MTV doesn't play music). I haven't done that in awhile. I'm sure I've mentioned before that when I do that it always puts me in a good mood. I still don't do that enough though.

Instead of rambling on about the five things I was thinking about last night, I need to focus on making a decision. I had the interview today for the second internal job today, and now I need to decide which one I want. I'm no longer worried that I'm risking not getting the second job if I don't take the first one. They seem plenty interested and if I don't accept the first one I'm sure I'd get an offer on the second one shortly. So, I have to weigh the pros and cons.

First job pros: Higher pay than #2, sooner start date, should be able to be get recognition for work sooner, stable and predictable
First job cons: maybe too structured, more of a routine

Second job pros: More flexibility in hours and duties, greater independence, more exciting, cutting-edge, new systems, etc.
Second job cons: Higher pay but not as good as #1, less stable and predictable, harder to communicate with workmates (english not first language for most), and because of less structured environment it may be harder to be noticed

I know which way I'm leaning, but if you have any input that would be great. It will probably not help and just confuse me but go ahead. Tomorrow I will probably ask some co-worker advice, but that probably won't help either. I'm going to need to make a decision by Friday on the first job.

A final thought... there must be so much opportunity out there. But it doesn't come knocking, you have to look for it. The first two years I've been in this job I've been afraid to apply for another internal position cause I felt I needed to be loyal to the boss that hired me. Now that she's moved on to a different position, I've finally felt able to look for something more appropriate without fear of being canned or treated differently. But this is just the world within my company. How many opportunities must there be elsewhere, if only I took the time to look?

3 Comments:

Blogger Barbara said...

It was evident a couple months back that you were getting frustrated with your current position...and new job could breath a little life in you and make you happier. Money sure isn't eveything..:)

just my rusty 2 cents..

7:07 AM  
Blogger brownie said...

Greater independence and more excitement, take that one. Or blow off both and move to Colorado.

9:28 AM  
Blogger Barbara said...

I think Brownie wants to move Austin to CO.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home