Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Trail Running

Thanks to some very useful maps provided by Austin Parks and Recreation, I figured out where I took the wrong turn during my run on Sunday. I ended up exiting Gracywoods Park onto Bittern and up and down the North Star Greenbelt. By that point I realized I was not where I needed to be and ended up getting to Walnut Creek Park by taking the main roads--Metric up to Parmer to the street that runs into the park.

The cool thing thanks to a comment on Austin Explorer is that now I know that I can get to Walnut Creek Park without having to deal with streets, if I'm in the mood for a road-free run. My apartment is directly across the street form the trailhead for Gracywoods Park. Fish hared a hash awhile ago that took this route but I don't recall if there were creek crossings or roads involved.

Last night we drove to Walnut Creek park and got lost running on the trails. It was a satisfying run though, a nice steady continuous pace for half an hour or more. Much better than running too fast for 10 minutes and having to walk a lot, like Sunday. If you've opened the map, I think we got confused on the loops in the NW part of the park, in between the two creeks. I would like to memorize the trails in this park, though it is probably impossible since others have tried and failed. And, it is also kind of fun getting lost. I probably ended up running farther than I would have had I known where I was going.

I thought I was going to regret moving so far away from Zilker, but it will be nice not having to deal with half a mile of streets getting to a park. I will still miss the people watching you can do while running at Zilker, though. Walnut Creek Park has nowhere near the popularity or accessibility.

9 Comments:

Blogger brownie said...

Walnut Creek gets PACKED on the weekends. Softball players, mountain bikers, trail runners, cricket players, frisbee folks, family reunions, dog walkers, you name it they've got it. And yes, it is damn near impossible to memorize the trails there.

12:00 PM  
Blogger PlaysByEar said...

Good.. I guess? Obviously though you can't watch the softball players, cricket players, frisbee folks, or family reunions while running on the trails.

During the hashes we've ran there I definately remember running alone much of the time and only seeing the occasional runner or biker.

It's really just due to the nature of these types of parks--curvy trails, trees, creeks, etc. make for a limited visibility distance. Unlike Zilker where it's easy to motivate oneself to catch up to the hottie 1/4 mile ahead of you.

12:06 PM  
Blogger brownie said...

I wouldn't know, there are never any chicks ahead of me.

12:27 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Last night was fun..if I was packing, I'd run it alone at night.

3:14 PM  
Blogger PlaysByEar said...

and if I wasn't packing tonight, I might run it again too!

3:36 PM  
Blogger dayoldfish said...

My trail crossed no roads and there is ways to do it without crossing water either. I can show you some good ways to get from your complex and down into Walnut creek park. When run there from my place, I run past your complex.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Rafael said...

Dude, we ran for an hour yesterday. I guestimate we ran at least 4 miles, possibly more. It was way lot of fun.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

We are so on for next Tues...anyone own a GPS?

10:08 PM  
Blogger PlaysByEar said...

I own a GPS! It's an older (larger) model, but I've ran with it before. Too bad I'll be in Wisconsin next Tuesday!

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home