Monday, December 05, 2005

Honorable Discharge

Well, back to meaningless stuff. Yesterday I picked up a package in the apartment office. Actually, it wasn't a package, it was just a large envelope that didn't fit into my mail slot. It was from the Bureau of Naval Personnel, and I knew it was something significant because they put a piece of cardboard in the envelope so it wouldn't get bent. Inside was a certificate (suitable for framing!) for my honorable discharge from the US Naval Reserve, effective 1 July 2005.

Any substantial involvement I've had with the Navy ended in 1999, when my five year active duty committment was done. But since then I've been in some sort of reserve status which I never really bothered to learn much about. I'm pretty sure my only duty in this status is just to keep them informed of my current mailing address, which I performed to the best of my ability. Now even that onerous duty is complete.

Since I signed some sort of enlistment contract when my three-year ROTC scholarship began in 1991, technically my naval career lasted fourteen years! I expect I'll continue to have nightmares about being stuck on a sub (often times not even getting paid) for the rest of my life, though.

3 Comments:

Blogger dayoldfish said...

yeah, lay a freeedom hash or something gay like that

12:23 PM  
Blogger brownie said...

Congrats on getting out. I don't know how you did sub duty, I don't think I could handle that.

2:16 PM  
Blogger PlaysByEar said...

Similarly, I don't think I could handle being on the ground in Iraq. There are plenty of bad things about sub duty, but at least it's predictable... until you drown or suffocate at the bottom of the ocean, anyway.

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home