Saturday, October 15, 2005

I Felt Dirty

so I took a shower. Actually, I was dirty. Why? Another beautiful day spent moving. That's right, it's another exciting entry about how I am slowly extricating myself from this house!

I can't decide if today was harder than last Saturday or not. I made a wise decision to rent another truck, because I was able to practically fill it up again. I got all of the big stuff last weekend, and this time it was for everything else (almost). I realized today the other reason I have to move stuff into storage. The first reason was not having a new place to live yet. The other reason is that there is so much crap to move that I wouldn't be able to put anywhere except a garage or a storage unit. Like dirty old grills, and especially dirty old stuff collecting dust in the garage. The idea when I moved in here several years ago was to get everything out of storage and put it in the garage. Then, while I was living here, I could go through the stuff and throw out a bunch of it. Well, that never happened so it's all back in storage again. A lot of it is in rotting moving boxes from as long as five years ago. There's no way I'd want any of that to go inside.

So I think today might have been tougher because it certainly took longer. The big stuff was hard to move last week, but there was less of it. Today it took me two and a half hours to move all this little stuff from the truck to the storage unit, a distance of 20 feet. I began to worry that everything might not fit, but I got it in barely. Nothing is accessible, but what do I really need anyway?

Even though this has and will continue to be a big pain, I have been lucky in avoiding complete disaster. For instance, if my nice landlord held me to the Oct 15 date I gave him, I'd be screwed. I haven't started cleaning yet and I probably have several car trips to make to get out of here, as well as trash to get rid of. My landlord is planning to do some fix-up stuff after I move out, so this place isn't going to get rented immediately. Not only was he fine with me taking a few more days/weeks, he said he would prorate the rent until the day I leave. That basically means I'm renting day-to-day now! Also, if the truck rental company held me to my half day reservation today, I'd also be screwed, since it ended up taking all day.

So there you go. The adventure continues. Somehow I still have some energy left, and now I am clean, so I may wander out and about for a bit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home