Saturday, October 08, 2005

Move Complete (Phase One)

Yeah, I should know better! Activity #1 after work kinda screwed up my schedule. It went more like this:

1700-2000 Go see band I see every month, have a few drinks
2000-2200 Pick up some food on the way home, watch TV
2200 Fall asleep on couch
0100 Wake up, move to bed, fall asleep
0400 Wake up because I'm worried about my plan getting screwed up
0500 Wake up again, same reason
0530 Realize I'm going to keep waking up, get up and start packing stuff
0830 Pick up Uhaul, due back at 1530
0900-1300 Load up stuff
1300-1500 Unload stuff, return Uhaul
1600 Pass out from exhaustion
2000 Regain consciousness, watch TV

So my plan went a little differently, but no harm done--I managed to completely fill up the Uhaul in the time alotted, and move everything that can't fit into my car. So, technically I can take care of the rest through car trips though I'll probably see if I can find someone with a pick-up truck to help out this week. It's a good thing I went ahead with the Uhaul today though cause now I realize how much I have left to do. There is still a bunch of small crap, but there is enough of it that it will still be a pain to get out. So, instead of devoting this next week to cleaning and finding an apartment, it will probably be devoted to moving out and cleaning.

I ask myself why I find it so hard to ask for help with stuff like this. I guess that it's because I don't want to inconvenience anyone. But then I think of how I feel when I've helped others out, how it's no big deal and that I'm glad to help out. Maybe if I can keep that in mind it will make it easier for me to ask for help when I need it. Though I did manage alright on my own today, it certainly could've been a hell of a lot easier if I had even one person to assist. While I was moving today, however, I thougth of a second reason I didn't want any help, and that has to do with my being so unprepared for the move. I mean it's just embarrassing the condition of the house, stuff laying about everywhere. If I can spend the next couple of days getting the rest properly packed, maybe I'll feel alright asking for some help getting it out of here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Me said...

I'm actually fond of the solo move. I get inside my head and focus on the task rather than "goof" off with whoever I have begged to help me. But I will admit, moving big shit by yourself is a pain in the ass.

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home