Thursday, October 06, 2005

Wingin' It

Well I did my usual Thursday night thing. But I forgot to bring a pen so let's see what I remember. I heard the Turtle's "You Know She'd Rather Be With Me." I've always enjoyed the Turtles, this just reminded me that I haven't listened to them in a long while. Then "But It's Alright" by J. J. Jackson. I knew exactly when the modulation was coming on this one. On both of these actually. I love modulation, and these songs both use the tried and true technique of modulating up near the end of the song. That got me thinking, Weezer is pretty good at using modulation in the middle of their songs, but they are sometimes clever enough to modulate back down to the original key, which is even cooler than the oldies-style technique. Also heard "Telstar" by the Tornados, a fun one to sing along with. Well, the lyrics are easy, anyway! Not to ignore the 80's, somehow "C'est La Vie" by some jerk name Robbie Nevil made it into the mix. I had to look that one up to find the artist, and it described the song as "infectious." I don't know about that... maybe they meant "infection" as in "ear infection."

By the way here is a picture of me and my niece enjoying some wings last week.

Last week Posted by Picasa

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger piannist said...

I can't believe I took my baby to Hooters.
Here's where I get to brag about my big brother to the whole world: One of my favorite childhood memories is listening to/watchhing my brother mess around on the piano. We are both very musically inclined, but he has always been able to do what I, a classically trained music degree-holding dork, can't. What's that? Check the title of his blog!
Anyways, that Turtles song was the first that I remember hearing him play by ear on that old piano in the basement (he was in, maybe, 9th grade?), and I think of him whenever I hear it. I hope some of his talent has rubbed off on me over the years!

2:06 AM  
Blogger dayoldfish said...

finally more wing blogs ... yes!

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home