Saturday, June 18, 2005

Bye Bye Car


1994 Ford Probe Posted by Hello

1994 Ford Probe Posted by Hello
Here are some pictures of my car, my 1994 Ford Probe. I've blogged about it before.

I took these pictures shortly before taking it to the shop. I thought I might not get another chance, as I feared it might not be coming back--ever. Well, it is back, but probably not for much longer. A week or so ago I began having some idling problems again. This is not unusual, as it's been a recurring problem for the past five years at least. Last night on the way home from work, however, the problem got worse. Either the oil pressure guage had an intermittent connection problem, or, there was no oil in the engine. I was close to home when it started, so I made it the rest of the way. I had problems reading the dip stick--the whole thing from top to bottom was coated in dirty oil, I would wipe it off and get the same result. So, this morning I checked the oil the other way, by draining the oil and seeing how much there was. 1.5 quarts. So, not completely empty. Oh, wait, I failed to mention that after I got home last night I added 1.5 quarts to the engine to see if that would change the dipstick measurement at all. It didn't, but that accounts for the oil I drained this morning. So, yep, completely dry after driving home yesterday.

I filled it up with oil this afternoon and took it in to have the leak diagnosed. They found the leak, alright. Actually, they probably had more trouble finding where it wasn't leaking. They said it was leaking from the front engine seal, the oil pan gasket, the head gasket, valve cover, and rear main seal. Also, as a bonus, the engine has significant blow-by which means the cylinders and pistons are leaking exhaust into the crank case. So, I need a new engine or engine rebuild, which will cost several thousand at least. That's more than my car is worth, and since it looks like crap inside and out anyway, it's time to give it up. It was fine as long as it got me from here to there reliably, but that doesn't seem likely anymore. I had considered getting a new car last summer, but just couldn't let go. Now that I know it has a bad engine, it will be much easier!

Actually, on the way to and from the shop it drove okay, so it may be marginally usable until I get a new car. But I think I'll be on my motorcycle for the most part, in this lovely 100 degree weather.

1 Comments:

Blogger boney said...

R.I.P. - I'm just glad I was the first one to rear end it.

9:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home