Friday, June 10, 2005

Older and Wiser

Just when I think things are getting back to normal, I show up for my normal trivia competition and find that my teammates have been put in charge of writing the questions for the next couple of weeks. That's what I get for missing two times in a row! Apparently the owner has other business to take care of, and has put my team in charge. Since I didn't contribute any questions, I joined the youngster group (all less that 24 years old) we sometimes team up with when one of our teams is small. Perhaps I am older *and* wiser afterall, as the majority of the questions we missed I had the right answer to (but didn't push as I was a guest on their team). For instance:

Decade Picasso died: 70's
Birth country of Mel Gibson: USA
Belmont Stakes state: New York

The final proof of my wealth of useless knowledge came on a tie-breaker that determined which of three teams would get a barely respectable third place. "Name the Walton children" My team was so young they've never even heard of the show, and told me to write down "Sam Jr." to start. Ignoring them, I was able to come up with only four under pressure: John Boy (of course), Mary Ellen, Elizabeth, Ben. Jim Bob came to me shortly after turning in out answer. I didn't think we had enough, but we did and walked away with a cool $10.

I plan on contributing some good questions for next week. If you don't plan on going and have some good ones, I'm all ears.