Sunday, May 15, 2005

Big Noise

Yesterday before I bought it I thought about writing an entry justifying the purchase. I had a fairly long list, and it all made sense. I didn't end up writing that entry, and don't really feel I need to now--because I used my purchase last night and have no regrets!

But just for fun, here is a short list of justifications:

1. What I had was not capable of what I needed it to do--amplifying keyboard & vocals at a level that will be hearable when playing with drums.
2. I haven't bought anything music related (priced over $100) for 7 years.
3. I have a great track record of getting a lot of use out of what I buy, especially music wise. I'm using the same keyboard from 97, amp from late 80's I think (a little 50W amp, how did I survive with that!), and the keyboard stand from 87 (in all fairness, I think my dad bought that).

Ok, that's long enough, I'm lazy. I now own a Yamaha EMX66M 6 channel 300W+300W power mixer (PA) and 2 Yamaha BR-15 400W/800W peak speakers.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris Ash said...

Holy Crap. That's a nice set-up. I don't think the donk could get by with only 5 channels (it's 5, right?) but I likey, I likey. Should make for some awesome house parties too, no?

9:26 AM  
Blogger PlaysByEar said...

When we rented one for our show a few years ago I remember thinking it was a pretty cool device. I really only thought it would be necessary today for practicing with drums, but I was proven wrong Saturday night at a guitar/keyboard/vocal only practice session. It made a big difference.

This thing is advertised as having 6 inputs, but really it has more because channels 5 & 6 each have two line/super hi-z inputs (and mic inputs) that can be used simultaneously. Of course to do that you'd want at least one to have an external volume control. There are also separate "2TR" and "AUX" inputs (though these have no individual EQ). In a pinch I could also feed my mixer into one of the channels, giving us 5 more inputs. Plenty to work with.

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home