Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Wing-Time

Last night I got the wings. Initially I was excited cause the first song I heard was Lesley Gore, and the next was the Beatles. They've finally gotten off the 80's mix and went back to oldies, I thought! But then they played Huey Lewis, then oldies again, then disco. Oh no! Don't tell me they've gone BOB! After awhile I realized I could live with what they were playing since they were still dipping into the lesser-known songs (of all decades now) that I hardly ever hear, which is what spurred these music entries in the first place.

The song from this visit is "The Rapper" by the Jaggerz. This song comes from a time when rapping didn't mean rapping, but meant hitting on someone. The only part of the song I remembered from before was the snippet of the chorus that they'd use in the k-tel compilation commercials. Therefore what grabbed my ear were the verses, which featured 70's style harmony and chords that didn't change for a long time, four measures at a time maybe, as opposed to the usual one or two. And dig those lyrics... "he wants someone to sock it to"

Honorable mention goes to a 70's instrumental that I don't know the name of. Its so much harder to find the names of songs when you don't have any lyrics to start with. There are some that have been stumping me for years. You've heard this one before. The melody is carried by two saxophones with guitar riffs filling in the breaks. That doesn't really help, so let me hum it to you. Da-da-da-da da-da-da-da da-da-da-DAA da-da-da DAA da-da-da. There, got it now?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home