Thursday, September 16, 2004

I'm beat

Last night was one of those nights when I had a lot of fun. So much fun that I was an additional hour late to work past my normal late arrival time.

I'm blaming it mostly on exercise. I play trivia at a bar downtown on Wednesdays. Last night instead of driving my car or motorcycle down, I decided to run (its 2.5 miles away). Running makes me want to drink--a lot. That's normal. Except maybe that it doesn't matter if its water or something stronger. What's definately not normal is that drinking makes me want to run, too. That then makes me want to drink more!

What made the running more fun last night is that I've resurrected my running music program. And by program, I mean perl script. I wrote it a few years ago when I lived in Minneapolis, and used it alot when training for the marathon I ran. Its pretty simple, really. It just takes mp3s and speeds them up (or slows them down) to match my running pace (about 160 BPM, by the way) without changing the pitch. It takes a little getting used to, but it becomes much easier to maintain a certain pace when a foot hits the ground on every beat.

When I first wrote it, I envisioned turning it into a stand-alone program which would allow one to create a music score for running routes. The tempo could get faster when charging up a hill or sprinting, a different song could start playing once you hit the next street, park, whatever. Its still not a bad idea, but now that there are robust mp3 player programs out there, I could almost accomplish the same thing by creating the right playlists in one of those software packages.

Now that I have a fast computer and a net-md minidisc player, the tempo conversion and dumping to disc is a lot faster, so I think I'll be using it more. Maybe I'll even get into shape!

We won the trivia contest last night, incidentally. We get a fat gift certificate, so of course I had a few more beers than I normally would have. Then I ran home and found my roommate still up, so I had another. Strangely enough, I didn't feel hungover this morning, or sore. Just very tired.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home