Monday, September 27, 2004

Now that it's ancient history...

... part two of my ACL experience. Sunday was to be my busy day, having to see Elvis Costello, Spoon, Wilco, and Cake, back to back. It didn't turn out to be as busy as I only stayed around for a few songs of Spoon and Cake. Spoon I had seen at the last ACL festival, up close where I wasn't going to get this year, having stayed around for all of Costello's set. So while I didn't hear much of them this year, if you haven't heard Spoon you should check them out. Catchy riffs, many piano based which isn't all that common. Cake was the last show I wanted to see and again coming straight from Wilco, I wasn't going to get close enough to really enjoy them. I listened to a few songs, and since the first one they played ("Sheep Go to Heaven") was my favorite, I took that as a sign that I didn't have to stick around for much longer.

As for the sets I did see, Elvis was outstanding. His encore (one of only a few that weekend) lasted forever.. "Pump It Up" ended and started right up again a couple of times. He wouldn't have played so long if he wasn't enjoying it. The sound guys were having a hell of a time getting the right balance though. The stage he was on was plagued by problems all weekend, too bad but didn't make me enjoy the set any less.

Wilco also was excellent--and they got to use the good stage, too! I wasn't close enough (and didn't stand up enough) to see how Tweedy was enjoying his set, but it sure sounded like he was really getting into it.

Brief description, I know.. I'm really just doing it so I can say I at least covered the whole weekend. I'm glad I went, but I left again this year thinking maybe one day is enough for me. Its hard to go that way though cause there's always a band I want to see each day.

Maybe I will comment on my non-music thoughts about ACL if I get around to it. Cheers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home