Friday, September 10, 2004

Brain Synchronization

Here is another problem I suffer from similar to procrastination. I call it a problem with “brain synchronization.” I think a lot of us suffer from this. Let me illustrate with a few examples:

7:50 Get out of shower, think to myself “I have these vitamins. I should take one with me to work and have it with breakfast or lunch.”
8:45 When eating breakfast*, think to myself “Whoops, I forgot the vitamin. I’ll take it when I get home, I guess.”
5:30 or later Never think of vitamins the rest of the night

That one prompted this entry. Here’s another, off the top of my head:

3:00 pm Think to self “Wow, these people really don’t understand electric fundamentals at all. I should at least brush up on it so I can sound intelligent. I will read a chapter out of my EM text when I get home”
Later that night Never think about reading textbook.

The common elements are 1) I want to do something; 2) I forget about it when it’s possible to do it 3) The same thoughts repeat on a regular basis. That’s the most frustrating thing--that the same thought patterns repeat over and over. I’m spinning my wheels and getting nowhere. Before I know it, I’ll be 85 and still not have had that vitamin.

*breakfast is loosely used here. A bag of animal crackers and iced coffee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home