Saturday, September 04, 2004

¿Yo quiero Taco Bell? ¡Ay caramba!

Fast food is special to me. It holds special place not only in my heart, but the rest of my body too. In fact, I physically consist of 75% fast food and 25% beer. Ah, and the memories. The first place I stopped after crossing the Texas border on my move here from Minnesota was Jack in the Box for their stuffed jalapenos. Jack in the Box has some unique items that I can’t live without, and I'd been forced to live without it for seven long years. Those first jalapenos filled a hole in my soul that’s existed since I’d left Hawaii. Now that I think about it, maybe JITB is the reason I had to leave Minnesota. Hmm! What else… I love how the lady at the McDonald’s drive-thru always knows to include the hot salsa with my breakfast burrito. That personal touch lets me know how much she really cares. And how can I forget the countless days when my only conversation with anyone at all has been with a fast food cashier. I would come up with such witticisms as "for here" and "could I get some ketchup with that." Man, where would I be without the fast food industry. They’re almost like family.

What surprised me when I first moved to Texas was a place called Taco Cabana. It’s a fast food chain that’s similar to Taco Bell, but their tacos seem more authentic, whatever that means. You add your own toppings, and they have a selection of salsas, and it doesn’t come out of little packets, you scoop it out of big bowls. They also have beer and margaritas, yet they operate as a fast food restaurant. It became a rule of mine that if I wanted tacos, I would go to Taco Cabana. So, I haven't been to Taco Bell once since I've lived in Texas. That's close to two years.

Well, something happened. I stopped going to Taco Cabana several months ago. I'm not really sure why, but their tacos don’t appeal to me anymore. However, I hadn’t been back to Taco Bell either, until last night. I was nervous at the drive-thru. Their menu had changed! Do they still have the chalupas I love? The three different types? And what were the names of their hot sauce levels again?!?! Well, I managed to talk my way through the transaction like an old pro, and the chalupas tasted just as good as I remembered.

So I’m no longer a Texas Taco Bell virgin, and have no immediate plans to go back to Taco Cabana. I don’t know if this is a serious enough indiscretion to count against my Texas citizenship, but I’ll deal with the consequences.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home