Thursday, June 11, 2009

Storm

I'm writing a blog post finally because I've got nothing better to do. The power is out due to a thunderstorm so I can't waste my time on all that stimulating educational TV I watch every night. I can't do the other needed stuff around the house because it's dark. So, I am typing away on the laptop.

Right before the power went out, I was checking Twitter to see what people had to say about the weather. I've gotta say, even though I've been on Twitter since 2007, it's only recently that it's become, unexpectedly, useful. I find out things first through twitter than anywhere else now, it seems. For instance, a few weekends ago, I found out about the twenty something inning UT game (only at 18 when I found out) through Twitter and paid attention to it the rest of the night. Now I browse local tweets all the time to see what everyone's up to around here. Tonight, right before the power went out, I used it to check where the tornadoes were. Apparently, I'm being surrounded by them (and hail), but the wind at my house really hasn't picked up and I haven't heard any hail, so I guess it missed me.

I have AT&T U-verse for TV & Internet. The wireless modem plugs into the wall via RJ-11, but needs AC power. I thought it might be interesting to see if I could get online while the power was out, so I ran an extention cord from the modem to the AC inverter in the car. That powered up the modem, but AT&T must also go out in a power outage because it wouldn't connect. It was a fun exercise though. I think I'll try it again right now... nope, still out! No life line for me!

Well, the storm has passed now but the power is still out. I guess I'll work on a few more entries so you'll have something to read for a couple of days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home