Saturday, June 13, 2009

Garden Update

I guess it's been five or six weeks since I decided to start a vegetable garden. Well, not everything is dead yet, but it's well on its way. You may remember the picture of the seedlings I started indoors, and how I didn't feel like thinning them out. I've learned my lesson now. A few weeks ago, they all started dying off, so I did two things. I took the stronger looking ones and planted them in the outdoor garden. The rest, I thinned out so that there was only one or two seedlings per pot. Two weeks later, the ones I put in the outdoor garden are barely hanging on (but still alive), and everything that I left inside is dead.

One nice thing is that the plants I planted outdoors initially due to laziness are still alive. There are a ton of cucumber plants and many watermelon plants. I can't tell what's going on with the carrots. I'm not optimistic, because while they are half a foot tall now, they haven't grown hardly at all in the last few weeks. But at least there's still something green.

The pepper plant I bought is still alive, and did something very exciting the other day as it produced a flower. But, the very next day the pedals had fallen off and what's left doesn't look like it's going to turn into a pepper.

Like I said earlier, I'm glad anything grew at all, and didn't put much effort into it. I have enjoyed it though and am a little embarrassed at how much time I've spent looking at the plants after I get home from work. Even if it doesn't work out this season, I'm thinking I will try harder next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home