Wednesday, December 24, 2008

What of it?

Merry Christmas, everyone! I can't say I'm a big fan of Christmas music, especially from whoever is currently trying to cash in on their cover of a classic or their uninspired original. I guess I would prefer to listen to something tried and true, if I had to. However, I may have found my Christmas music cure. Yesterday, I listened to my regular weekly podcast of Sound Opinions. I've loved this show ever since I discovered it half a year ago or so. They discuss music news and review new and old music. Apparently every year they bring in a guy who spends his time searching for obscure Christmas music. This is his tenth year on the show and his twentieth year of compiling Christmas music, and the mix this year is of the best music from his first ten years. You can find it here. It is all quite interesting, but my two favorites are both at the 11 minute mark of Side A and Side B.

"Santa Loves Rock'n'Roll Music" is on Side B, which I've just now decided is my second favorite. I love what I think is the crazy wah-wah on the clav and the chorus of voices that sound like they have frogs in their throats. And the weak clean lead guitar that tried to convey the "Rock'n'Roll" sound!

My favorite is "Without You". This sounds like a rip-off of "Windy" by The Association, but I love it. The fuzz guitar, quick original I-IV-V switch during the verses, and drums sold me. When I heard the French accent I had to learn more about the singer, Claudine Longet. I can't believe I've never heard of her before! She was married to Andy Williams (who I only know because of his Christmas album we would play when I was young). After her divorce, she allegedly shot and killed her boyfriend while coked up, but only served 30 days for it because the police botched the investigation. Then her defense attorney left his wife and married her! She must've been irresistible. Check out her Wikipedia entry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home