Thursday, October 30, 2008

Weezer

Monday 10/20 was the Weezer concert, which I'd been looking forward to for a long time. @G and BS were there but in the cheap seats, whereas I had a floor ticket. It is awesome to be so close, especially when ACL-fest (where it's practically impossible to get close) is still fresh in my mind. We met up beforehand and I (probably unwisely) accepted a few mini-bottles from @G to put in my drink. That's hard to resist when beer is $7 each. Unfortunately it also means I don't remember as much of the show as I want to. The set list was a good mix of old and new Weezer. Apparently there's a lot of folks that think the newer Weezer albums are crap, but I don't agree. They might not be as good as the older ones, but I still love 'em. The setlist was a good mix of new and old. "The Greatest Man That Ever Lived" is my favorite new song, and the only song that I remember wanting to hear that they didn't play was the new song "Thought I Knew." It was great to hear them play "Susanne," which must only be on the Mallrats soundtrack because I don't own it, but also recognize it. They did play one song I didn't recognize at all and I think it might've been a cover. At one point Rivers rode around the crowd piggyback on a roadie. One thing I'll never forgive myself for is the hootenanny. Fans got to go up on stage and play along to "Island in the Sun" and "Beverly Hills." I don't know the details, but had I done a little research beforehand I imagine I could've been one of those lucky fans. One guy played a great trombone solo during "Beverly Hills." The clarinet solo was not so great. The show may not have been quite as exciting as the first time I saw them three years ago, but I really enjoyed it and I'll see them any chance I get.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home