Sunday, October 12, 2008

22:15? Really?

It can't possibly be true. 22:15? That's just over a seven minute mile pace. Could I really have kept that up for a whole 5K?

The Skirt Chaser 5K was last night at 5 pm, and it was definitely a lot warmer than the 5K last Sunday (where at first I thought I finished at 24:25, but probably mixed up my time because my Forerunner said 25:24). I guess the fact that this course was flat and I was chasing women most of the way might have made me run a little faster, but three minutes faster? The course MUST have been short! Unfortunately I forgot my Forerunner this time so I can't check the distance. Then again, the Forerunner did say that last 5K was 3.4 miles... hmm....

Anyway, since I goofed reading my time last Sunday, I stared at the clock for a good ten seconds to make sure I was reading it correctly. It actually said 25:19, but the men were not allowed to start until 3 minutes into the race. I know I crossed the start line at 3:04. I even confirmed my finish time with a guy from LJ's who was about half a minute in front of me.

For the record, I set my 5K PR in high school CC at Yahara Hills, at a "blistering" 22 minutes and change (something like 22:08) --and I also thought that course must've been short because I never came close to that time before that or since. I was never fast enough to even make the JV team, but it's nice to know that I haven't lost any speed over the last 15+ years.

I had plenty of free beer at the end in celebration. It was also nice to feel relatively popular. I didn't know if I would see anyone there that I knew and I ran into three separate groups of people that I knew--people from the hash, work, and LJ's.

2 Comments:

Blogger Barbara said...

That is VERY fast and even though you have been training like a demon lately...I'm wondering if that pace is true time. STILL who cares? You are kicking ass man and chasing hotties at the same time:)

I'm NOT running the 3M fast...

7:22 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

My last 5k was 56 minutes again. I guess I am going to do the Turkey Trot. Hoping to cut 9 minutes off my time. Thanks for your comments on my blog. I am going to try and be consistent for the next 9 weeks. Maybe after that it will become habit or lifestyle.

8:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home