Sunday, October 19, 2008

Braving Beerland

Against my better judgment--since I was scheduled to run a 10k in the morning and even had to show up extra early since I forgot to pick up my race packet--and since I am still wary of the venue--I went down to Beerland to see the Ugly Beats. There were four bands but went to LJ's during the first two, since I didn't want to be scared off early by any aural terrorism I'd experienced there previously.

I enjoyed Shapes Have Fangs who I've see a bit of before. They feature very reverby vocals, guitars--everything really--but it defines them, in a good way. I really got into their first three or four songs but then I took a bathroom break and none of the rest of the songs were exciting enough to get me back up on the dance floor. Now with very reverby effects going, the sound system is very susceptible to feedback, especially when no one is playing between songs. That's just what the audience was treated to, after the first song, the second song, the third song, and the fourth song. The band was aware that the sound guy was being retarded and tried to start each next song as soon as they could. After the fourth song, the sound guy finally got a clue and started to adjust levels to stop the feedback between songs to keep the audience from bolting.

The Ugly Beats were great as usual, and also as usual I danced more than I expected to. They have plenty of songs now that aren't on their two albums that I recognize from hearing them live so much. I should start taking notes on those songs so I can at least play them in my head. There's the "just don't know" song, the bumblebee song, that new song the drummer wrote. What else am I forgetting that I like? I hope they put out another album soon. Something a little different about this performance were the three go-go dancers on stage. I was a bit puzzled by their outfits because they looked a whole lot more like flappers than go-go dancers to me. I suppose if the band is playing 60's music in the 2000's, the go-go dancers are also allowed to be off by 40 years. I picked one out in particular I wanted to talk with but stupid common sense got the best of me and I left promptly at 2 so I could get up at 6:30 this morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home