Sunday, May 04, 2008

MC, Lemurs, Grupo Fantasma

It's odd how I feel like I didn't see any live music this weekend, because I did. It was just not in my usual fashion. I didn't make it to the Mad Cowboys show the last few months, due to being out of town or having something better to do, and I still didn't really feel like it on Friday. I think it has become too predictable for me. Still fun, but just the same old thing. I didn't find anything obviously better, so I went to The Carousel to see them, and I had the normal amount of fun. They had a different lead guitarist who was way too overpoweringly loud to start with. People were telling me later that the whole band was too loud and I didn't agree, but later I did agree that they really were too loud when I noticed that I could barely hear the drums, which weren't amplified.

Saturday night I met up with @G, Kristin, and Padre for The Lemurs and Grupo Fantasma at The Old Pecan Street Festival main stage. I'm pretty sure I'd seen the Lemurs earlier this year. I just don't remember where. They were really good, but not that exciting for me, I don't know why. There were a couple little kids up front dancing along that were way more into it than anyone else. They were as entertaining to watch as the band was, if not more. I was curious about the keyboard player's stuff. He had a Roland Juno, an Alesis something--maybe a Micron like the band I saw last weekend, and a few things that I couldn't figure out. He was using something to his left which must've been a drum or effects machine, but I couldn't tell.

Grupo Fantasma was about what I expected, really good musicians with a good grove, yet not really my type of music. They had four guys on percussion, three in the brass section, two guitar players, and one bass. I managed to stay and enjoy the whole set, but was really ready for it to be over during the encore. I mimicked the band members choreography to keep myself amused, and really liked when they made us jump up and down. It felt good and I wish I could've done it more without looking stupid. Padre was taking lots of pictures. Maybe he'll put them online and then I'll post a link.

Nothing really stood out as far as regular Saturday night music, but I planned to go see a band that I had seen before at Scoot Inn. I was looking forward to it since I haven't seen a band at that location yet. But, as I took a break at LJ's I saw in the paper that the show was earlier than I thought and that I was probably too late. So I just hung around LJ's and MS for a bit before heading home.

2 Comments:

Blogger RL said...

Many belated thanks for the postcard - I am a music dummy so it took a while to decipher it! But it was tremendously enjoyed by the whole household, thank you.
Shoot me a comment with your address if you'd like a postcard of Vancouver (or a surprise postcard)in return.

2:42 PM  
Blogger PlaysByEar said...

Aha-you found me! I know I didn't make it easy to figure out who sent it, haha. Music is the only thing I'm familiar with from Vancouver at the moment, though I could've also mentioned my short stay in Victoria.

9:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home