Monday, April 28, 2008

Taste Test #1 - Blueberry Beers



Here is something new. A taste test! First up, what is my favorite blueberry flavored beer? Since I could only find three kinds in town, I figured this would be a good one to start with. Above we have our three contenders: Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale, Sea Dog Wild Blueberry Wheat Ale, and Wild Blue Blueberry Lager. I had bought six packs of each and saved one bottle for the test. I already knew which beer was going to lose because I had a hard time getting through those particular five bottles.



Here is what they looked like out the bottle. I poured them blindly, so I didn't know which was which until the test was done.

Beer #1 had the lightest color, and a light blueberry smell. Also the blueberry taste was subtle, but nice.

Beer #2 was red/purple and the smell was reminiscent of wine. It had a very overpoweringly strong and sweet flavor, and almost tasted like wine, too. I'm not much of a wine person. This is the one I know would lose. Other than the fact that this beer was just too sweet, I normally get a headache after having super sweet beers like this.

Beer #3 was not as fragrant as the first or second, but a blueberry smell was there. It smelled a little funny though. It is a little darker than the first. The blueberry flavor was not as sweet as the first or second and seemed a little bitter. That's not necessarily a bad thing but I preferred the flavor of beer #1.

My order of preference:

Sea Dog (Beer #1) - nice
Bar Harbor (Beer #3) - pretty good
Wild Blue (Beer #2) - yuck!

I have 8 IPAs (my favorite type of beer) ready for the next test. I was originally going to taste them all at once and save the leftovers, but even the simple test with the three beers above (really two since I knew one would lose) was really tough. So I will probably try them in groups of four (maybe three if I get another one) and have a second round for the winners.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Pittchick said...

Blueberry beer? Yuck!

3:46 PM  
Blogger Gagger said...

I've had a blueberry beer from LJ's before...GROSS!

2:17 PM  
Blogger PlaysByEar said...

So Jen I take it you've tried one then?

The Folsom Prison Blueberry Porter at LJ's is not bad, even during their bad period the darker beers held up OK. The two beers I liked in this post are better, though.

2:26 PM  
Blogger PlaysByEar said...

(question directed at first Jen, sorry)

2:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home