Saturday, April 26, 2008

John Lennon Hoot Night

Last Saturday night I couldn't go out cause I had to go to the cable public access channel to record some video for the band. As it was cable public access, I'm sure you can imagine how frustrating it was. So I had to make up for it Sunday, and went down to Ruta Maya to see John Lennon Hoot Night. A month ago if you asked me what a hoot night was I couldn't have told you what that meant. It is a bunch of bands playing covers by one artist. In this case the artist was John Lennon.

I was curious how they would get bands on and off the stage quickly enough when every band is playing 20 minute sets. To make it faster, all bands used the same amps and drum set. During the time between bands, they had John Lennon related video playing, which was nice. They played parts of the Beatles movies but the video I remember now is the interview on the Mike Douglas show which they used in Forrest Gump.

When I first got there 3 Balls of Fire was playing an instrumental version of "Please Please Me." LZ Love was next with a couple audience participation songs including "Power to the People" and "Give Peace A Chance." They got the audience to sing along a little, but it died off pretty quickly for Austin I thought. The Story Of was really the highlight of the night for me and many others. They played "Dear Prudence" which I've played a lot myself since it's a favorite of a former bandmate turned professor. "All You Need is Love" was the high point as they augmented their lineup with a brass section and about 30 balloons which we tossed around the whole song and later.

Golden Bear made me happy because they played "Watching the Wheels"--one of my favorites. I really wanted to hear the authentic piano part but I'll forgive the guy because of the nature of the event. I just think it's so much more fun with all the small licks and stuff. They also played "Whatever gets you through the Night" which was alright, 'salright.

The Boxing Lesson was next. I know I haven't enjoyed their music very much in the past but I liked their versions of "Run For Your Life" and "I Want U." Nic Armstrong played "For the Benefit of Mr. Kite" which is a pretty gutsy choice with everything that goes on in the original. Of course they didn't reproduce all that stuff but it sounded pretty good. I told myself before I got there that I would leave after "You Can't Do That," another one of my favorites, so I did after Shapes Have Fangs played it. I saw that band at Mohawk awhile ago and hope to see them again soon. Now that I review the setlist I noticed the next band was playing "Tell Me Why" and I kinda wish I stayed around for that.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home