Friday, April 25, 2008

Record Store Day

Last Saturday I did my part for Record Store Day. I had heard about it and then Brownie reminded me with his post. In Austin, they took out an ad in the alt weekly showing all 11 or so local record stores that were participating. If you had a receipt from one store, you got a discount at the others, so I participated in their tour. Even better, I did it by motorcycle. I have not been to hardly any local stores so I took this opportunity to check out a few. First I went to Encore Video & Music where I was lucky enough to see a few tunes by a live band, the Hush Sound from Chicago who is touring with Panic at the Disco. This place is ok, but it's pretty cramped, even when there isn't many people there. I bought a DVD.

Next I went to Antone's music and bought the other Ugly Beats CD. This place is small and has a lot of vinyl. They had Record Store Day giveaway bags so I got one here. Kinda hard fitting a 12" LP in my little saddle bag.

Next I went to Waterloo Records. I've been there many times, so not too exciting. I bought the latest What Made Milwaukee Famous CD.

Lastly, I went to End of an Ear on S 1st. I was running out of ideas for things to buy, so I didn't end up getting anything here. Every store has a local music section with tons of local band stuff, but I couldn't find any TSO CDs I'd decided to buy. Gagger, what's up with that?

Local stores, local music, local politics. All more important than national stores, national music, national politics. Maybe I will write a longer entry on that.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home