Friday, April 04, 2008

Ready to Go

I did make it downtown last night, but just barely. It was already 11 and I had to force myself out the door. Because of the lateness, I didn't go to a real show and went to LJ's instead. I had forgotten that they sometimes have music on Thursday nights, and they did this time. It was crowded, and I didn't get a bar stool for awhile. Most people weren't paying much attention to the band. The bartenders and I weren't impressed. Their lineup was different enough--cello, acoustic guitar, mandolin, and saw, but all you could really hear was the guitar and cello. I have a feeling they may have had the other "interesting" instruments turned up louder before I got there, but there were some bad feedback problems when I arrived which is probably why they were turned down. It was a bunch of cellos playing bass on 1 and 3 and guitar chords on 2 and 4, kind of a slow oompah, quite dirge-like. Very depressing. To make things worse, all of the performers wore a sort of paper mache mask, so you couldn't see their faces except for their mouths. So, they couldn't really emotionally connect with eachother, much less the audience. At least I scored a free beer. The beer is getting better with the new brewer, you should try coming back. Maybe not on a Thursday though.

I'm kinda glad it sucked, because now I won't feel so bad about leaving Austin for a bit.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Jerri said...

You said oompah. Now I have this picture of a total grunge group throwing little short chocolate makers at the booing crowd.

2:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home