Tuesday, May 09, 2006

LJ's w/a Laptop

So it must be time for an update. The weekend sucked. Except for Friday. Friday was the Mad Cowboys and that is always a great time. But, I barely got out of the apartment the rest of the weekend. Saturday I managed to get to Fry's and I actually bought some DVDs to use in my $20 Fry's DVD player. I never buy DVDs and had mixed feelings about doing so.. I mean, I figured I was in a bad mood because I couldn't motivate myself to do anything or go anywhere, and enabling myself to watch even more TV doesn't exactly help. One of the DVDs I bought was Season 2 of Sealab 2001. Man I loved that show.

Sunday the only thing I managed to do was go for a run around Town Lake. Actually it was a little bit farther than I usually go, but not by much. Probably between 3 and 4 miles. I didn't run Friday or Saturday so I really had to go do it. I wish it had been more exciting, or eventful, because it appears now that may have been my last worry-free run for awhile. Monday my right knee started behaving strangely and I fear it is going to affect my running. The good news is that today I bought a knee brace and ran with it with no problems, so maybe thinks are okay. But stairs and steep hills cause pain, as does sitting down. I guess I'll have to get it checked out, but if anyone has any joint care related advice in the meantime, I'm all ears.

8 Comments:

Blogger brownie said...

Cherry Popper can help you with joint care. And don't talk to Just Nicole, she's a quack.

You never told us what kind of shoes you got.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Pittchick said...

Don't get old.

9:33 AM  
Blogger Rafael said...

Don't use braces, they make the joint weak. The joint comes to depend on the brace for support and gets weak, try some stretching and/or isometrics and see if that helps any

11:50 AM  
Blogger mike said...

If it is just behind and around the lower, outer part of the knecap, you might want to check your shoes. Just cause they cost a lot doesn't mean they right for you.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Heavin' said...

Are you stretching? Tight muscles/IT band can cause the patella not to track correctly. My knees start to hurt when my muscles are tight.

Ditto about the shoes.

1:24 PM  
Blogger PlaysByEar said...

Thanks for the advice. I was definately in an end-of-the-word-doom-and-gloom line of thinking when I wrote this entry, mostly because at the time the only knee pain I could remember was after running 25 miles. I figured if I was feeling it now with hardly any running at all, it must be permanent.

However--last night I remembered that yes, I have had problems like this before. Back in WI running during the winter for awhile I would end somewhere where I would stay outside for quite awhile afterwards and my muscles would really tighten up--to the point where I could barely stand up straight. I developed some knee pain then. It got so bad at one point that I could barely walk at all for a couple of weeks. And it got better. So I think that's it, I just need to keep stretching. And it will get better.

Asics Gel Empire; stability shoes for pronators

5:18 PM  
Blogger Chlamydia said...

This is a bit of a long shot but if you weren't having joint pain before your new shoes it might behoove you to switch back to your old ones for a while and see if your knee still hurts. Sometimes new shoes can take a while to get used to.

10:43 PM  
Blogger Alma O'scarlett said...

Your laptop might be the culprit. Having something on your lap for longer than a minute or two compresses something in the leg that can exacerbate joint problems--for me it exacerbates my hypermobility syndrome (loose joints)

Try getting a laptop table and not crossing your legs for a few weeks and see if things improve. I've compeltely quit setting it on my lap--I set it on a table or a nearby pillow to the side :D

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home