Saturday, May 20, 2006

Don't Worry, No Puns in this Post

This afternoon I caught the last hour or two of the annual O Henry Pun-Off. This is the kind of thing that my family would really enjoy to see, because they love the corny stuff. There are several events, the one I caught features two or three competitors in a round who rotate making puns on a theme (such as animals, countries, etc.) The only confusing thing is figuring out what qualifies as a pun. I'm sure the rules make it perfectly clear--follow the link if you really want to know. Each contestant gets three strikes for rule violations, or if they can't even start to make a pun in the count of five, they're out. It was fun to watch (but as expected, sometimes not particularly funny), and I bet if I practiced punning now I could be a strong competitor next year. The down side being that if I start practicing now, no one will want to talk to me next year.

I hope to see some of you tomorrow at my gig. If you even show up for a couple songs that would really make me happy! By the way, I not only play keyboard, but I also play harmonica, tambourine, and cowbell. I am a responsible cowbell player, so just because you say we need more cowbell doesn't mean you're right, or that I'll play more cowbell. I play cowbell where it is needed, and rarely more than that. I have cowbell restraint.

Someone post a link to the skit, I'm too lazy to find it.

7 Comments:

Blogger brownie said...

More cowbell!

2:52 PM  
Blogger Rafael said...

I had to work this afternoon, so I couldn't make it to your show today. Sorry.

5:00 PM  
Blogger PlaysByEar said...

No need to apologize Raf! The only people who need to apologize are those who said they'd be there but weren't!

9:42 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

How did it go?

10:06 PM  
Blogger PlaysByEar said...

Ugh... you are right. Fortunately, I followed that link at LJ's and had the volume all the way turned down. So I don't know what the hell it is, and I don't think I want to find out.

You made me look it up... here it is.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Jerri said...

why are you always playing when I can't go? butthead!

7:18 PM  
Blogger Jes said...

I jam on the harmonica...if I ever make it to Austin we'll have to play together!!

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home