Monday, April 11, 2005

You Are Here. Where Am I?

Many of you may know I have made a habit of playing pub quiz trivia on Wednesday nights. After many months (huh, has it been a year and a half already?), I may be getting *serious* enough to actually study for it. I know that sounds pathetic, but I'm really doing it out of motivation to actually learn something, rather than merely as an effort to get more points. There's usually a geography question that leaves us feeling a little dumb, and that's where I'll start.

I remember as a kid really loving looking at maps and atlases, but I can't say I remember why. As I grew up I realized that simply knowing the location of a country, and it's capital's name, isn't really knowledge. It *is* trivia. And while I still believe that is true, I also have realized that... well, where else are you going to start?! And now it's so easy to learn something non-trivial with just a little extra effort. This website is nice, with easily navigable pages and almanac info. I'll be spending some time there until I feel adequate in geography. That might only be until I know the capitals again, but hopefully I'll pick up something more in the process.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home