Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Only myself to blame

Okay, I've started a blog. I don't have the energy right now to explain my reasons for it. They probably don't exist anyway. Right now I just feel like telling everyone what a dumbass I am.

Take today, for example.

Today at 5:30 pm I found myself at the Municipal Court searching for a scrap of corrugated cardboard. I described to the guard what cardboard looks like, and he didn't remember seeing anything like it today. I didn't end up finding the cardboard I was looking for. I wasn't happy.

A few hours earlier I had taken a break from work and rode my bike down to the Court to pay a ticket. I could've mailed the fine in, had I not waited until the last day to pay it. The ticket was for having an expired safety inspection sticker on my car. It's been expired for six months. I got the same ticket last month. That was before I decided maybe I *really* shouldn't drive my car until I fixed it.

My motorcycle jacket has a big pocket in which I keep lots of stuff. Today that pocket contained my ticket as well as various forms, receipts, and barcodes I needed to send in for about $180 in rebates on my new computer. I put that stuff in my pocket this morning since today, of course, was the last day I could mail in for the rebate. All of this stuff came out of my pocket when I paid the ticket.

When work was about over, I went to get my rebate stuff copied and sent out. This is when I noticed I was missing the barcode from the computer case/power supply, which I needed to send in for $150 of the $180 rebate. After searching my work area, I headed down to the court, where my search yielded nothing.

So, it seems that I've lost $150 because I've been putting off several things: paying a ticket, fixing my car, and filling out a few forms. Not getting the $150 back pisses me off, but not as much as noticing that these are symptoms of a much larger procrastination problem. I put off everything. No wonder I feel like I never get anything done!

Maybe I've started this blog as a way of feeling like I've accomplished something today.

By the way--after I got home, I found the missing barcode on my bed. Also, through filling out the forms today, I realize I have another week to send in my rebates. Happy ending? Only if I send in my rebates this week. We'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home