Thursday, March 22, 2012

SXSW 2012 - Great Movies

I spent Friday, March 9 - Sunday, March 18 at SXSW. I did catch a few bands (and beers) during the day, but for the most part I was making use of my SXSW Film Pass (a steal at $80 when you see as many films as I did--I think I saw 30!). Here are some notes on what I really enjoyed. I will post later about what I thought was just good, and what I thought was awful.

Great

Girl Walk // All Day
This was an album length dance movie set to the mash-up artist Girl Talk's All Day album. It turned out to be exactly what a great SXSW experience should be--something I wouldn't have otherwise seen that turned out to be a surprisingly enjoyable experience. I loved it and would recommend it to anyone, though I think the experience may not be as great on a small screen compared to a big one. The main dancer danced live in front of us during the end credits. Available for free in chapters here: http://girlwalkallday.com/

Searching for Sugar Man
Interesting true story about a 70's rock legend that never knew he was one. There were a few surprises in this movie that made it quite gratifying.

Do-Deca Pentathlon
Really fun and sweet story about a rivalry between two brothers and how it affects the rest of their family. Also probably the best narrative movie in terms of pacing, character development, acting... all the things I want or need in a great movie. Almost the whole cast was there for Q&A.

Beware of Mr. Baker
About Ginger Baker, the drummer for Cream and Blind Faith. It has a great opening scene, and great animation, too. Director there for Q&A.

Big Star: Nothing Can Hurt Me (Work In Progress) & Tribute Performance
Big Star was a band fronted by Alex Chilton (formerly of the Box Tops) that did not have commercial success, but is widely acclaimed by critics and musicians. Sadly, Alex Chilton died shortly before he was to perform at SXSW 2010--a show I had planned on going to. The drummer, Jody Stephens, is the only surviving member and he was there to perform a tribute show following the concert of the band's third album.

God Bless America
Violent comedy and commentary on popular culture. I find it hard to disagree with the commentary, and though some of the killing that takes place in the movie seems unjustified in some cases, it's a fun fantasy.

Yellow Submarine
A hand restored version of the 1968 Beatles movie. I realized shortly after it started that I had never seen the whole thing before. Occasionally strange, but also a lot of fun.

John Dies at the End
Really strange things happen after some guys get injected with a mystery drug. I lost the plot after awhile, but the weirdness itself is enough to make it enjoyable.

America's Parking Lot  
This documentary follows a couple of tailgating Cowboys fans and their transition from the old Cowboys Stadium to the new one. This one is nice as it makes the point that the Packers appear to be doing everything right. And I respect the film makers/producers for having a beer chugging contest right before the screening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home