Wednesday, April 06, 2011

New cat

I am a glutton for punishment I guess. Saturday I went ahead and adopted a cat from the shelter. Her name is Tallie and she is 10 years old. She had diarrhea and flaky skin so I knew she was a little under the weather, but most cats at the shelter are not at their best one way or the other. I took her in for a check-up on Monday and it looks like she is a little worse off that anticipated. Her blood test shows a white cell count of 16,400 and normal is 8,500. So, this is a sign of an acute infection. She is also a bit anemic (26% red cells vs. 29%-48% normal). We started her on some antibiotics to help with the diarrhea on Monday, with a plan to switch to another antibiotic to address the infection after this course was done. I noticed she really isn't eating at all, so I called the vet this morning. If she still doesn't eat by tomorrow morning, we will probably switch antibiotics to attempt to get her appetite back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home