Sunday, March 30, 2008

Captiol 10K

The Capitol 10K was this morning. My expectations may have been even lower than last year, as I haven't been able to get back into a good routine since the holidays, and SXSW really did some damage. I did manage to run and lift weights twice early last week, but my legs stayed sore all week. I can remember after the Turkey Trot last year when I was in good shape (and ran an amazingly fast 8:25/M pace) that it would be no problem beating last year's time. Last week I knew it wasn't going to be that easy.

Conditions this morning were a lot like last year with horrible humidity. It was a little better in that it was overcast and lightly rained on and off throughout the race. I had to walk a little, starting at the 15th & Lamar hill, as I expected. At the halfway point, my Forerunner said 32 minutes, so I knew my chances of breaking last year's time were slim. But a mile or so later I redid the math and it looked possible. So, I pushed myself a little harder. I don't think I would've if I didn't think there was a chance. I ran all of the last mile and a half, and ended up at 59:58, 1:19 better than last year. I can't complain about that, but I still need to get in better shape! I felt great afterwards, had an IPA, and napped the entire afternoon away.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Barbara said...

Desiree Flicker was running 5:45 min miles...whoa! My buudy Jan placed 42 in her age group:)

6:48 PM  
Blogger PlaysByEar said...

OK, I get it. Some girls are faster than me.

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home