Sunday, March 09, 2008

MTV and METV

More thoughts on METV. I realized tonight that while it is just a local cable channel for most people, I think of it more as MTV.

Those of us that were watching TV in the 80's remember the original MTV. VJs, music, music videos--all the time. MTV even had frequent promotional spots encouraging everyone to contact their cable companies to allow something called "stereo"--two audio channels, one for the right speaker and one for the left. On a TV channel!?! I digress. MTV featured artists that were a big deal, nationally or internationally known. So, when watching METV, I attach that same notoriety to the bands I see--even if they are really only known locally. What's great is that then I go see these same bands at local venues and it feels that much more exciting because I just watched them on TV. I don't mean to imply that they wouldn't be great without videos. If I've realized anything over the past several months, it's that I can never leave such a hotbed of awesome, creative, exciting bands to live anywhere else. However, the fact that I am able to link the bands and videos of today in some fashion to the bands and videos of old MTV makes it more fun and exciting for me. I now TiVo the Tex-Mix and Red River Rocks shows everyday and they keep me informed of the latest happenings with local bands. We should get more 30-40 year olds to watch Ch 15. I bet a lot of them would like it!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Smut Mutt said...

Is that the channel that plays ACL shows on Friday nights? I thought it was 14? (I only watch it at Wicked Itch's house).

7:20 PM  
Blogger mike said...

I remember when you were contemplating leaving Austin. Glad you came around.

My daughter reminds me that I suck because I don't have cable ... so I have never seen METV.

10:53 PM  
Blogger mike said...

PS. Time Warner SUCKS ASS because they are a pretty much a monopoly.

Sorry, had to get that in there.

10:57 PM  
Blogger PlaysByEar said...

It is Ch 15 but AFAIK they don't play ACL shows. They do occasionally play songs taken from the show, though.

Geez I didn't realize I had made such a declarative statement about staying here, but it's true. I always figured I wouldn't be ready to leave until I got more involved musically here, though I always figured it would be as a performer not a spectator. I suppose I intend on staying active at both.

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home